History of the California Economic Forecast
The California Economic Forecast has been preparing publications and presentations for more than 25 years. The firm was founded in 1989 by Dr. Mark Schniepp as the private consulting arm of the UCSB Economic Forecast Project.
The firm was involved in numerous customized research projects during the 1990s, including economic analysis of large and small scale projects in San Luis Obispo, Ventura, and Santa Barbara Counties.
Dr. Schniepp left UCSB in early 2000 to devote full time effort to the California Economic Forecast. The company has expanded rapidly since this time, and has developed into a full service economic consulting firm with expertise on the California economy.
The UCLA Anderson Forecast partnered with the California Economic Forecast in 2003.
The California Economic Forecast incorporated in 2004.
Capabilities and Recent Projects
The California Economic Forecast performs research and analysis for business and public sector clients. The firm has developed a prolific database on California and its regional economies, allowing it to address a wide range of topics.
Our capabilities include:
- Economic forecasts for California, all 58 of its counties, and many of its sub-county regions
- Real estate forecasts
- Public revenue forecasts
- Economic impact studies
- Economic policy studies
- Economic presentations and public speaking for business, government, and non-profit groups
- Regional economic profiles
Examples of recent projects:
- 58 county-level forecasts for Caltrans
- 25 county-level forecasts for Kaiser Permanente
- Forecasts of home prices, home sales, new housing development, and commercial real estate development
- Economic impact of the development of California’s energy resources
- Economic profile of the City of Carpinteria
- Economic impact of real estate development in the Santa Clarita Valley
The firm also hosts economic outlook conferences, and participates in conferences by partner organizations. Recent events include:
- Entrepreneur Economic Forecast Conference (LA County and Ventura County)
- Santa Barbara County Real Estate and Economic Outlook Conference
- Santa Clarita Valley Economic Outlook Conference
- Orange County Economic Outlook Conference
- San Diego County Economic Outlook Conference
- Kern County Economic Outlook Conference
- Coachella Valley Economic Summit
The California Economic Forecast serves a diverse array of industries. Our recent clients include:
City of Santa Barbara
Coastal Housing Coalition
Community Bank of Santa Maria
Community Colleges Facility Coalition
Kern Economic Development Corporation
Land Resources Management, Inc.
Newhall Land and Farming Company
Professionals in Human Resources Association
Santa Barbara Association of Realtors
Santa Barbara Rental Property Association
California Economic Forecast Staff
Mark Schniepp, Ph.D.
Ben Wright, M.A.